Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hey Guys, I Read a Book for Pleasure!

It feels like while at school, there is very little time to do simple things like reading for pleasure. If I"m going to read something, it usually is for a class and is not something that I always enjoy. This past week however, I actually spent an entire Saturday afternoon starting and finishing a book. It was so enjoyable and really nice just to be fully absorbed in a story.

In case you couldn't tell, I read the much talked about novel Room by Emma Donoghue. If you know what novels are out there right now, I"m sure you've heard about this. My English-major friend Austin (who is now in Scotland studying abroad so I'm going to pass her book around to my friends until she gets back) gave this to me to reading just by saying, "Carly, you have to read this. I read it in like four hours and it was amazing." We sort of like to think of ourselves as book-loving folk so I tend to listen to her suggestions. This. Book. Is. A. Ma. Zing!!!

I'm not going to spoil anything, but I'll give you the premise. The entire novel is told from the perspective of a five year-old boy, Jack, who lives with his mother in a single locked room. It's the only home he's ever known, but as his curiosity grows (and his mother grows less sane) he starts to wonder about the rest of the world. This book is such a quick read and sucks you in immediately. Jack's innocence and the world he creates around him pulls at your heart. This is probably the best book that I've read in a while. So go get your hands on a copy, snuggle under covers, grab a cup of tea, and enjoy.

Does anyone else have the same problem with having time to read? What are you reading now? I'm always very interested in suggestions from the real people out there.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you! Wasn't it so good?!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com