Saturday, May 12, 2012

I'm in Love With My Nook

I'm In Love With My Car by Queen on Grooveshark
So for some reason tonight I'm on this really big "I love my Nook" kick. Austin came over to hang out and for some reason, I convinced her to dive head first into the e-reader pond. We're both pretty avid readers and I'm just so excited that I thought I would write this little post. I've been reading a bunch lately and have been living in book heaven. I'm working on doing reviews on them soon (spoiler: I might have read a book that's title rhymes with Schmifty Dades of Prey and will be unfortunately talking about it soon because I seriously don't get it). 

photo68
My little book corner

I've always loved reading, and when these e-readers started to become popular, I vowed that I would never fall under their spell. I liked the feel of the paper of books too much to think of them as just another digitized phenomenon. To be fair, I stuck to my old school guns and lived in my happy. little, paper world for some time. And then I decided to study abroad in London. As my trip started to get closer, I started having a dilemma. I wanted to bring books to read (and I knew I was taking a lit class and would need novels), but I didn't want to waste weight with packing books. So for Chanukah I asked my Dad and Julie for a Nook so I could carry a library in my purse. I know there's a lot of hoopla over which is better: Kindle of Nook. I'm just going to weigh in my opinions on to why I choose the Barnes and Noble enterprise over Amazon (warning: these are just my opinions and I'm going to be honest, some of them are pretty superficial). So here we go.

NOOK Simple Touch

Since I really just wanted something I could read from, I knew I wanted the simplest of the simplest. No color. No special apps I could buy. I already have an iPhone with the Nook app, but I wanted something bigger and not so harsh on my eyes. The model I have is the Nook: Simple Touch. I know they just came out with the option for a GlowLight, but when I got mine; this option wasn't available. Even if it was, I think I would still stick with the cheapest.

On the surface the Simple Touch and Amazon's simplest version of the Kindle appear to be similar. They each have a 6 inch reading screen. Each have built in WiFi. Each can download books in seconds, and each can "check out" books from their public library (although this is newer for Kindle). Yada yada yada. But here's the thing. At $79 the Kindle comes with ads. I know these aren't that annoying and are easily ignorable, but there's something about my reading experience where I don't want advertisements thrust in my face whenever I turn it on. You can buy the Kindle without such ads, but that'll cost you $109. The Nook Simple Touch usually costs $99 (they're having a Mother's Day special where the Simple Touch is now $79 which is a nice little deal). This isn't that much of a difference price-wise, but the Simple Touch has a fully useable TOUCHSCREEN. That's just awesome and it's super handy. It might not be as big of a deal to others, but I just thought it was a nice bonus where you get a little more technology for your money.

Kindle Touch e-reader: frontal view

Now Amazon offers the Kindle Touch which has the missing touchscreen. The version with ads is priced the same as the Simple Touch at $99 and the version without the pop-ups is $139. Again, it came down to price for me. I'd rather spend the 30 or so dollars I saved on a cute cover for my Nook. The only real advantage I find to the Kindle Touch is that it apparently can hold 3,000 titles whereas the Simple Touch holds 1,000. I think if I eventually get to that level of book ownage, I can solve this "problem" when I get there. You can always delete books or save them on your computer when needed so this doesn't seem that brag-worthy.

And for the superficial part. I prefer the look of the Nook to the Kindle. There. I'm judging fake books by their covers. The Nook is slightly wider and squatter and "feel"s more like a book. It's more curved on the edges and has a softer appearance. Again, it's silly, but it's something I took into consideration. I mean if I'm going to be handling this thing, I'd better like its face.


So there you have it. For me it came down to price and feel for the machine. I also feel that Amazon has the "every necessity" market covered (did you know you could buy food through Amazon?) so I feel like I still have to support my large, chain book store. Ha. I still love the feel of an actual book in my hands, and I relish in entering family-owned book stores or used book fairs. I just find the e-books to be an easy, quick, and sometimes cheaper way of acquiring new literature.

My Nana and Pop-pop have a Nook and a Kindle respectively and each have their own opinions as well. Apparently my Pop-pop prefers the Kindle since it has a lot of his science magazines and sci-fi novels he likes whereas Nana prefers pure fiction and mystery. So it really is to each his own. Whichever machine you get, it's going to be amazing. It's been such a great experience for me and was truly a lifesaver while traveling. So do you have any opinions about the great Nook/Kindle debate? I'd be glad to hear your thoughts! Either way, I'm under the opinion that either company's upper scale models like the Nook Tablet of Kindle Fire are sort of unnecessary. Why wouldn't you just get an iPad? I know it's cheaper, but it just seems rather silly to have a paper book that had games on it as well. I just can't quite wrap my head around the idea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com