Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Day After


Happy New Year's Day everyone! I hope you all had a safe and fun night last night. At Camp Babione, things were kept low key, but still really fun. It was just me, my sister Katie, my mother, and Austin. We sat around watching an Adventure Time marathon on Cartoon Network which was a lot of fun even if it was juvenile. We then moved on to the main activity of the night: Game Night! I really like being home because we're a big gaming family and I kinda miss out when I'm away at school. Last night we played Name That Tune: 80s edition. Austin and I went through a huge 80s phase a couple of years back and we soak up trivia like a sponge so we usually rock. Last night, however, my mama cleaned  house and beat all of us. She probably should have won since she's the only one of us that was around in the 80s. She kept saying how "busy" she was having a career and family and whatnot to care about the music scene. We then moved on to the Trivial Pursuit which is really where I excel. Austin and I decided to split up into two teams so that it was relatively fair. I was with my mama and it might have been the longest game of Trivial Pursuit ever. We just kept going without getting any puzzle pieces. Mama B was again nervous that she wouldn't know anything, but she certainly surprised me with her knowledge. She might not know Jane Austen quotes, but she knew that Longfellow wrote "The Ride of Paul Revere." Way to go Mom! After like two hours, Team KickAss (us) won!

By then it was like 11:30 so we switched the TV on to watch the ball drop. I think it's great that Dick Clark is still doing his New Year's Bash, but doesn't it make anyone else sad to see him? I know he had a stroke which affected his speech, but he's only 82! I thought he was much older. It's like they keep him around so they can attach his name to the television event. As we all know, the New Year came in without a hitch as thousands upon thousands of people looked up at a glowing ball in Times Square. Am I the only one that has no need to be there? I feel like everyone wants to go and be a part of that great mass of people, but it just seems like too many people to be anything other than crowded and hot. Maybe that's just me.

Right now I'm waiting for my meatloaf to finish cooking so we can eat dinner. I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Pennsylvania Dutch country (where I live) it's traditional to have a New Year's dinner of Pork and Sauerkraut to ring in a lucky and prosperous year. For a couple years my mother would make us this dinner (complete with applesauce), but I don't really like pork loin because it tends to be dry. Since I've become the cook of the family, I basically just make whatever she wants. This year, she decided on my delicious meatloaf. It's my Maxine's recipe and it's quickly become a favorite in the Babione household. I think she's also making mashed potatoes so it should be rather yummy. While I was cooking, Looney Tunes was on in the background and really just made me think of my childhood. I feel like Bugs Bunny had as much to do with my upbringing as my parents did. Maybe that's why I'm such a smart ass sometimes. Again Cartoon Network has had a marathon of old and new Looney Tunes all day which makes for a very happy Carly.


Tomorrow I'm spending a majority of the day with my Maxine (my step-grandmother) since this is that last time I'll get to see her for quite some time. I love spending time with her, and it will be nice to have a solo date with her for a bit. I'm thinking we might go to Tomato Pie Cafe  in downtown Lititz. They have the best baked oatmeal and salads. We'd better go there now that I think of it. Anyway, here's to an exciting, productive, and unexpected New Year!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com