Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Day After: Valentine's Day


Hello everyone and welcome to another rendition of the day after. I hope your Valentine's day went smoothly and lovely. Personally I don't really understand the holiday because why in the world do we have to designate a day to tell each other we love them. Shouldn't that be every day? I feel the same for days like Mother's and Father's day. I love my parents. They know that since I tell them a lot so why do I need to stress about giving them presents on one specific days when I'll send them little gifts (usually metaphysically) all the time? This year came and gone and lo and behold... I did not have a "valentine." I decided that instead of being cynical Carly, I would take my life into my own hands and do something. So after class, I got on my nice black and grey dress (I'll do a picture post later), did my makeup well, played with my hair until I decided that down was the best choice at the time, and I was ready to go out on the town!

I took the tube from Holborn to Green Park switching at Oxford Circus onto the Victoria line and it was only a short walking distance to my destination. Once I saw it, literally this wave of warmth and wealth moved over me. I opened the doors to Christie's Auction House on King Street and climbed the stairs to the auction room. It was my first art auction ever and I had a really nice time. I was completely by myself and didn't know anybody there, but at the same time I felt very at home. Everyone was there to either buy or watch the money fly. I could not believe the sums that some of these pieces went for. The star of the night was this Francis Bacon portrait.


Want to take a guess on how much this went for? 3 million? 8 million? Nope this Portrait of Henrietta Moraes from 1963 went for £19,000,000!!!!!! And I was there! I looked today on the website at the results and after taxes and auction fairs (I'm guessing) it was a little more than 21 million. That's an absurd amount of money. They were just going back and forth and it was so exhilarating, and when it was all done, I just felt like applauding (I know a bit childish). They were going back and forth arguing over £500,000 like it was child change because when we're talking prices that high it is. It was just such a lovely time, and I can't wait to go back again. I didn't get a real seat in the auction room, but I stood outside in the anteroom with a whole gaggle of other arty people. Drinks were free and I got a beautifully printed catalog as well. Now this is going to sound soooooo cheesy, but it almost seemed like I was spending a night with my valentine: art. Yep I said it, I was in love, and I don't care who hears it!


I ended up leaving early after a bunch of the big ticket items since I hadn't really eaten that day and was starving. I came home, made myself some baked ziti, ate it, and finished off a good half of a bottle of wine as an end to the celebration. It was one of the best Valentine's Days I've had in quite some time. I just went to bed happy and content and happy to be in such a great city like London. How did you spend your day of love?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com