Thursday, February 9, 2012

You Gotta Love: Steve Martin


Because you do right? I know I've talked about things I hate as well as things I love. I think I'm going to try this post periodically about famous people I love and people I feel that everyone should love as well so I don't feel like a complete freak. The first man on our list is Steve Martin.

Now it's no secret that I love comedies. But specifically, I absolutely love comedies from the seventies and eighties. You know, when SNL meant something more and those stars went on to do great and hilarious things. Now funny enough, Stevey here was never officially a part of the cast of SNL. He has just been a host 15 times (yeah that's right) over the last 3 decades. Funny funny man!


Why else should you love him? Three words: hair and banjo. His hair is one of my favorite things about (yep its superficial). Even now he still has a pretty hefty head of hair at 66. It started as that wonderful pewter color and slowly transformed itself into the snow white of today. He also is a wonderful banjo player. And it is a proven fact that banjos are the coolest! I haven't bought his newest album yet, but I really love the songs and I just love his fingers flying over those strings.

He also just happens to be in one of my top ten favorite movies of all time: The Jerk. If you haven't seen this yet, than I'm sorry but we probably can't be friends. I guess my love of Steve started with my mother since it's probably her favorite movie. I didn't know much about him, but I did know that he was born "A poor black child." Full of political incorrectness, it's such a quintessential 70s comedy that you just have to love it. Bernadette Peters is there for Christ's sake! Navin Johnson might be my childhood hero. There's just too many great scenes. His thermos! Shithead! Pizza in a cup! Disco! The Opti-Grab! Cat Juggling! But I think the scene that might sum up my love in completeness is this:


But seriously, if you haven't seen this already go watch it. Without fail, he's always going to make me laugh and I think that's all any of us really need. So go out and watch a clip (Two Wild and Crazy Guys!) or a movie (Three Amigos!). Whatever your Steve Martin fix might be go out and grab a handful and then go for seconds because it's impossible to get enough of this guy. So much love!

P.S.-Maybe it's because I just watched the Muppet Movie for the umpteenth time while taking a bath the other day so I'm super on the Steve Martin bandwagon.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com