Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Portobello Road!

Portobello Road by Disney on Grooveshark


It's just so nice to get a moment to breathe! Phew. These past couple of days have been pretty busy from schoolwork to work work and everything in between. Amanda and I decided to actually do something this weekend since our time in London is slowly winding down. Yikes. I don't think I'll ever be ready to leave this place. We decided to go down to the ever famous Portobello Road Market on Saturday. Now it's really no secret that I love Disney films. Not just the cartoons either. I was brought up on such gems as Mary Poppins, Blackbeard's Ghost, That Darn Cat, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks just to name a few. Seriously the entire time I kept singing the Portobello Road song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. It's been going through my head since this weekend so I even figured out how to put music up in my post so everyone can sing along.

That's Casey with the pink dress and green/grey coat on the right

So much fun. I went with Amanda and Casey and we just sort of walked around. I absolutely loved the market and I could have stayed there all day. A few weekends ago we went down to Camden Market which was fun, but I just felt like there were too many people and too many stalls selling the same generic stuff. It was just too overwhelming and I still haven't grown a backbone to haggle correctly. Portobello was much more my speed. Things might have been more expensive, but I'm willing to pay more for good quality things with history than less money on something that will break in a week. The shops smelled of history and I almost died. All of the sellers were really nice and I just kept thinking that it would so great if I had my own little London home that I could furnish with all the wonderful candlesticks and tchotchkes that were around there. I also saw a lot of Wedgewood (some of it was fake but whatever). And I love Wedgewood pottery, I think it's so pretty and delicate while still being interesting and regal. I might have been in Carly heaven. I had to reign in my spending so I only got a few things (some for me some for others).


I picked up this Cadbury chocolate tin from Queen Elizabeth II's 1953 coronation that I'm using as an earring holder while I'm here since I've been living out of plastic bags for the past multiple weeks. I just loved how kitschy it was. I also like thinking of The Queen as a younger person at beginning of her reign. It's so nice to leave with a bit of English history to take with me. I also found this fish necklace which is completely up my alley. It moves like a real fish and I just can't get enough of his fishy lips. I've yet to wear it out because it doesn't lay quite as I would like, but maybe I'll go more for the three dimensional accessory look. We'll see how that goes and hopefully soon.


I really hope I'll be able to go back and just take my sweet time looking at all the antiques. On Sunday we went to the Victoria and Albert Museum which was a lot of fun. Fun fact: Did you know that they have a central hallway dedicated to sculpture and a large majority of these sculptures were Rodin's? 'Cause I didn't and I was so excited to see them all and appreciate just what an amazing man he really was. Hope everyone's weekend was great!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com