Monday, April 16, 2012

I'm Obsessed!: Vinyl

Crosley USB Tech Turntable   Crosley Portable USB Spinnerette Turntable

So for the past few days (and months if I'm speaking honestly) I have had this obsession with the idea of owning a turntable and starting my own record collection. Yeah, go on. Say it. "What a hipster..." But I don't really care about such things. I just really love old things, and while I couldn't live without my ipod, I love the idea of listening to something authentic. I know that my family thinks I'm nuts, but it's just something I want. Especially when I was listening to my 60s playlist yesterday, all I could really think about was what Simon and Garfunkel would sound like on a turntable. I've been searching the internet for different options and styles of turntables, but I'm completely at a loss for what I really want. I've never actually handled a record player, but I know I would just love it. Then I could go into those record stores all the kids are talking about and grab me some wonderful old (and new) school records. Frankie Valli, Elvis, The Doors, Florence + the Machine, Michael Jackson, probably some opera. It would just be so great to have that textural relation to music. I was also in Barnes and Noble a few months ago and I came across this gem. Now if you know me at all, you know I'm a huge Jethro Tull fan, and creepy as it may seem, some friends of mine actually tried to nickname me Aqualung. So great. Again, I'm new in this whole foray of vinyl, but if anybody has any suggestions or tips about which make and model of turntables to look out for please help a girl out! I would love to hear anything from what you like listening to, to your first record. I think that's what I love about the idea of vinyl: they're multi-generational. I would love to start a collection of some of my mom's old favorites. It would probably be a lot of Donny and Marie, but I can dig it. Once I'm back from my trip and am actually financially stable again, I think I might definitely have to get one. It would fit so well in my new little apartment for next semester.


Photos
source
source

2 comments:

austin said...

oh aqualung, calm down

i used to own a record player! but i think i sold it at a yard sale one time. i used to like, sit in my room and listen to old dolly parton records.

Carly said...

So jealous of li'l Austin. But seriously. How great would it be to have some jedark classic rock time around a record player. It might be the best idea ever thought of!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com