Thursday, October 11, 2012

Stitch Fix #1

DSC04547

Yeah! I finally got around to doing this post! I'm a big fan of Stitch Fix and I can't wait to tell all of you wonderful people about it. I first came across it on Kaelah's blog and if you don't know what it is, let me fill you in. Stitch Fix is a service where you get your own personal stylist. You fill in an extensive survey with questions that range from your personal style to how much you usually spend on different types of clothing to what types of styles you would like to explore more of. You then schedule a "fix" and are sent 4-5 new items. You then try them all on (which is pretty easy for most people) and keep the things you want and send the rest back in the prepaid envelope (even easier!). That's that. You are billed for the items you keep and just get rid of the rest (I put more information at the bottom of this post). If you don't want to take the time to look at pictures below and want to head straight over to Stitch Fix click here. It's a great way to try new styles or fits that might not be your first choice without going out and dealing with those awful mall crowds. I've found a lot of new designers and styles that have really vamped up my wardrobe. I thought I would run down what came in my first box. Sorry I lost all of the information about brands and prices of each of these, but I'll give you my gut reactions.



This necklace was so pretty, and I might have worn it around the house for about an hour (while wearing my jammies) before deciding that it wasn't for me. It was so beautiful and laid perfectly, but it was just a tad bit TOO fancy for me to justify everyday wear. This was a hard one to say no to.

DSC04552

On my initial survey, I said that I was recently working the longer lengths and loving  what I call a "mullet" dress. Which is the same as a high-low hem, but mullets are more fun. When I pulled this one out, I had a spaz attack because not only was this a longer dress, but THAT PRINT. You see it right? It's amazing. The sleeves are adjustable and I could totally see myself wearing this around campus as well as to an internship. I was so close to keeping this, but it didn't quite fit my slightly curvy chest. If I wasn't 100% comfortable, I wasn't going to keep it. But it was a sad, sad day in the Babione household when I had to tell this beauty "no."

DSC04555.jpg DSC04555

On my little style quiz, I said that I wear business casual sometimes since I do like to "dress" up a bit at my various internships over the years. This shirt would have fallen into this category. It was made out of this lovely silk and was really a pretty color and added a feminine touch with the ruffles at the top. It also had this wonderful hidden button across the chest so there wasn't any gaping around the bosoms area. I just don't wear button-down shirts that much and this mama was over $100 and I"m just not in the place right now that necessitates me owning a shirt of this caliber.

DSC04557

This is the only item in the box that I ended up keeping. It was at the right price and completely the right style. I don't own any tie front shirts and I liked the breezy, laid-back feel. These colors might be my favorite combination right now. My mother actually knitted me a blanket with these very colors a few years ago. I don't usually look good in yellow since it washes me out, but I can definitely get behind this more mustard/ocher yellow. I'm so happy I kept this shirt and will hopefully be showing pictures of me wearing it in the future.

DSC04562

This was the only thing in the box that I was "eh" about. It just wasn't special enough for me to really consider. I really don't like the baggy arm holes because I really hate it when you can see a girl's bra band when they lift their arms. The color was more of a jewel purple, but still not quite deep enough for me. The sleeves had nice detail, but it just wasn't enough.

For me, the appeal of Stitch Fix is the experience. It's a lot of fun to be receive a surprise in the mail whenever you want. There's a monthly subscription option, but you can also just schedule a fix whenever you want. I kind of like how they make it seem like this drug that you need to "get your fix of." I made a little oath to myself that I could do this, but I made a rule where I could really only keep 1 thing (or a few things whose total didn't exceed the $50 mark). Stitch Fix does have this thing that if you keep all 5 items in your box, you get 25% off your entire order. There are definite times where it is beneficial to keep everything in the box, especially if you're deciding about whether to keep just 4 things, or all of them. It is often cheaper to get the whole shebang. The styling service costs $20 whenever you schedule a fix. The really nice thing is that this $20 goes towards any item you buy in the box. So if you decide to keep an item that's priced at $35, you only have to pay $15 more and it's yours! You just send whatever you don't want back (free shipping!) and then they bill you for whatever you keep. You also fill in a form about each piece you received. You can say whether it was priced right, the right style, or the right fit. I have a few other Fix posts lined up, but if you have had any of your own fixes, I would love to see them. I think it's a lot of fun to see what other people might get in the mail. If you would like to find out more about Stitch Fix click hereLet's share the shopping love!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com