Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Butternut Squash and Chicken Soup

Since we are getting into cooler weathers, and this whole Sandy business has made me aching for some home style goodness, I thought I would share a super simple recipe to take the cold out of your bones. This really just reminds me of home because it was one of those meals that everyone in the house loved. It is the season of the squash so you really couldn't get any better. Let's get started shall we!

So for this soup, you will need:

1 butternut squash (I would get the straightest looking squash available just so it's easier to peel and cut)
As many Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken thighs you want (I used a package of 4)
At least 1 yellow onion (you can add more if you want)
Chicken Stock
Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil

DSC00069

That's all that's in it! The hardest thing is actually cutting through the squash. You just want to make sure you peel the skin off, take the seeds and gunk out of the middle bit, and dice the rest of the squash. There are youtube videos of this, but you can probably figure it out. Be warned that butternut squash is one of the hardest vegetables out there, so it will require a little man power. Add this to a cookie sheet (or jelly roll pan if you're fancy). I lined mine with foil just to help with cleanup. Then clean your chicken and season with healthy amounts of salt and pepper. Place those on the sheet and toss everything in olive oil. I then added a sliced onion near the end and mixed everything together to add a different texture and flavor to the soup. Then place your pan of seasoned butternut squash, chicken,and onions in the oven at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes. I ended up putting it in for longer because I wanted to make sure the squash was roasted enough. As long as everything remains golden and not burnt (but you can take burnt pieces out later), you're safe.

DSC00072

Once out of the oven, transfer all of your yummy-smelling pieces of squash and onion into either a large stock pot or pasta pot. I got a potato masher and just went to town on the squash. Add a bit of chicken stock at a time until you start to get a thicker soup mixture. It's really up to you if you would prefer a puree or a soup. I think I added about half of a carton of stock to my entire mixture. I also added some water just to thin it out even more without adding more sodium. It really is a personal preference. I've had this both thick and thin and it was delicious nonetheless. Once you get your soup base, head over to your chicken and start tearing pieces of meat off and adding it to the soup. I would probably not add the skin, but to each his own. Again, you have control over the size of chicken pieces you want.

DSC00073

And voila!!! you now have a fairly inexpensive soup that will last you at least a week in leftovers. This can also be frozen and eaten at a later day. This isn't a "real" recipe and I kind of just made it up based on what I remember from home. All I know is that it was delicious and tasted even better a few days after since all of the flavors could meld together better. So let me know if you try it and let me know what you think. Also if you have any questions I will happily answer them. Hope everyone enjoys and stay warm out there.

DSC00074

4 comments:

Stephanie Loudmouth said...

I'd totally make this without the chicken. Warm soups are the best this time of year. Of course, being in LA, it's still 80 degrees. But I like pretending it's autumn!

Amanda said...

Wow this pretty great, I have a feeling my fella would love to have this for dinner.

Carly said...

Completely. I was thinking how it would be with a whole bunch of different veggies like carrots and parsnips. I think it would be so tasty. I think make believe is the best form of imagination so go on pretending it's 35 degrees outside like it is here. I envy your weather right now.

Carly said...

My favorite thing is just how easy it is. Let me know if you try it.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com