Thursday, March 8, 2012

Then I Saw Her Face...

Freak Flag by Original Broadway Cast on Grooveshark


So I've already written about my love for Shrek (you can find that here), but I have a whole new obsession with it now. Last week, Amanda scored four tickets to see Shrek: The Musical. I was obviously excited about the prospect of seeing one of my favorite films to song. Amanda, I, Missy and her boy Jack all went as a double date, and we had a wonderful time. It's been around on Broadway for some time now, but I was amazed to discover that it's considered a flop. I thought it was popular. Apparently it was spending more money than it was making in ticket sales. I really don't understand it. I had a wonderful time. It's been quite some time since I've had such an enjoyable and laugh-filled time at a musical. Were there the occasional potty humor jokes? Of course, but there were some real comedical gems thrown in there. And the music was catchy and upbeat the entire time.


Everything just seemed to flow perfectly. The set changes were divine. Even when we had to wait 45 minutes (they reopened the bar so we were good) in the middle before the dragon appeared due to "technical difficulties" it just flowed and was a genuinely good time. Lord Farquaad was so well done! The actor wore the top and on the bottom, he wore black with the legs overlayed. He walked/danced/ran/exercised all on his knees. Every time he came on stage, I really wanted to stop laughing, but I just couldn't! The things he was able to do with his top half while getting his bottom half to work in a way that was believable was just outstanding. 

source

Shrek, Fiona, and Donkey were all great, but what really sold the show for me was the ensemble. Instead of thinking that a few individuals were good, they all brought something to the table. Their songs were witty and their comedic timing was almost always on the money. The pipes on the woman who played Gingy (as well as the Sugar Plum Fairy) really blew me off guard. Then there was the ugly duckling who could belt like no one's business. And the three little pigs, and the... You get the picture. They could all sing and all dance, and I was thoroughly impressed.



I don't care how old you are. This was a funny, good, and heartwarming show. When we left, I was still giddy from excitement from what I just saw. I felt like one of those commercials where they record people's reactions after seeing Hairspray or something. "Oh my god! I loved it! So wonderful! The perfect show!" That kind of thing. I really want to get a 5 year-old perspective on the show so maybe I'll see if Lily and Zoe will go see it with me. They love Shrek as much as I do and I think we would have a super fun time. Viva la Shrek!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com