Friday, March 16, 2012

Eggs Bloomsbury

 

So I'm a college student studying abroad in London for a semester. You might be asking: Carly, what do you eat? Going out over here is wicked expensive, and it just doesn't make sense to me to spend 10 pounds on one meal when that could buy me like three. I'm not going to lie, there are definite times when I'll eat pasta, sauce, and shredded mozzarella cheese because it's cheap and easy. I also eat a lot of smoked salmon (right Austin) because that's also yummy. I've dabbled in other family recipes like chili or baked ziti because I can get the most meals out of those. However, the other day I was hungry and I wanted something new so I made up this recipe a la Casey. She's always just throwing things together and it looks so yummy. I chose a slightly simpler route since my recipe only has four ingredients, and three of them are proteins. I'm sure it's not healthy for you, but it's delicious and easy and I feel pretty chic. So here it is Eggs Bloomsbury!

I'm not the biggest breakfast fan. I do the bad thing of skipping breakfast more times than not. When I do eat it,  I prefer savory dishes like Eggs Benedict. I don't mean to brag, but my Pops makes a mean Hollindaise sauce that is so yummy. I didn't have the resources for that so here's what I used:

1 Slice of Toasted Bread
Goat Cheese
1 Slice of Salami
1 Poached Egg

First toast the bread and cover it with spreadable goat cheese like so:

 

I was torn between cheeses for this because I also had a yummy Halloumi as well, but I went for this since it was easier to spread and has a tangier taste as opposed to the salty (but delicious) Halloumi.

 

Then add your piece of salami. Again, this was something I just had hanging around so you could probably use any sort of lunch meat on hand. The salami added a really nice subtle smokey flavor which I quite enjoyed.

 

At the same time (or before/after your bread/salami step) poach your egg. Back home we have this uber fancy egg poaching pan thing. I do not have such luxuries abroad, but the other day I was in Sainsbury's and came across these little poaching pods. They are amazing. I love a good poached egg and after some practice I got the technique down. I'm sure they sell something like these in the States so you should look into it.

 

After the egg is poached to your liking (I like mine very runny so I can sop up the the yolk with my bread) flip it over on the top and enjoy! It doesn't look like much, but it is delicious! The cheese adds a familiar tang like the Hollandaise sauce but is much easier to make. I decided on the name since it is a complete rip off from Eggs Benedict. We live right by Bloomsbury so I thought it only fitting to adopt the name. And it makes total sense! It is the quintessential I-don't-want-to-spend-money-on-food-because-I'm-studying-abroad-but-I-got-to-eat food. I have one egg left and I just might go and make another one. If you try it out tell me what you think!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com