Friday, March 9, 2012

Guess What I Made...


What could these ingredients mean? That's right boys and girls, I baked a cake. From scratch. Yesterday was Casey's 21st birthdays (warning, there are a lot of birthdays this month) and for my gift to her I thought I would try to make her favorite cake: Red Velvet with Cream Cheese frosting. Normally I would just go to the store and pick up a Red Velvet cake mix and that would be it, but apparently Red Velvet is an American construct so I had to find a recipe on line and buy all of the ingredients. I don't think I've ever made a cake from scratch before. It actually went pretty well. The only really hard thing here is that everything's in the metric system, and we didn't have any real measuring cups/spoons. I couldn't find any in the stores either so I did my best. Our kitchen also only has one working light now so it's quite dark which adds for a whole new set of challenges. I think it turned out pretty well. It wasn't quite Red Velvet (I might have put in too much cocoa powder) but it was fluffy and tasty. I think the fluff comes from a little science experiment I was told to put in by combining vinegar with a little bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to get it all bubbly. Melissa was in charge of the icing and I thought she did a great job. I made two cakes and I think they both got eaten. So happy birthday Casey!!

The party was a lot of fun. There were about 30 people in our little flat and it was themed as a typical College Party. And not just any college party, but one where the music was all from the late 90s early 2000s. It was fun to reminisce about some of the stuff that we used to boogie to in 8th grade. "Stacey's Mom?" "Beverly Hills?" "I'm Blue?" "My Heart Will Go On?" It was just a lot of fun. I"m not much of a party-er back home and I think this was the first time I had a genuinely good time at one. Although it was completely Casey's night, it definitely got me excited for the possibilities of what my birthday might hold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com